Friday, December 15, 2006

Running diary of attending a Buffalo Sabres game via scalper

Since there are so many women and children that aren't hardcore enough to attend a Bills game out in the elements with drunkards and that howling persistent wind at the Ralph, they attend Sabres games. And, since there are so many women and children and bandwagon Sabres fans, every game is sold out.Since every game is sold out, there are no tickets. The game was a value game vs. the Panthers on a Thursday and I wanted to go. Here is my running diary:

6:32
Me and my friend depart from my house sans tickets to the game.

6:40
We avoid 2,000 cars getting off at the Elm St exit, and bust a move getting off at the Church St. exit with no traffic.

6:48
Instead of paying for a parking spot because we are college students and there is a free train that drops you off directly in front of the arena, we park in Niagara square and jump up to blocks to Main St. and catch a train seemingly waiting for us.

6:56
The train saves us about a mile of walking and drops us off as we start scouring the Arena to see where that crazy drunk bitch drove into in the other day.

6:57
We start talking to our first scalper. The streets are packed with people still getting into the Arena and I am starting find my groove talking to these scalpers. Our ceiling is $20 and we want a pair of seats together. First offer we get, two upper deck for $50 each. We continue to walk back up Washington St.

6:58
Next offer, two tickets $30 each and they aren't together. I say we need a pair together, Scalper,"You aren't going to find a pair together now, and definitely not for $20 each"

7:00
The schedule puck drop, however some Irish Tenor or something is signing so the drop is delayed. Next scalper a block from the stadium has a pair allegedly center ice like every ticket offered to us thus far. He puts the tickets in my hand, the price is $16 per seat. He wants $30 each.
Me: "You're wasting my time, I have other people with real offers."
Scalper " What are you looking to spend then."
Me: " $20 each, those are $16 tickets man, and I doubt center ice."
Scalper: "I'll give 'em to you for $25 each that is as low as I can go." Long stare down ensues. Who is going to blink first, the ultimate struggle between saving $10.
"That is only a difference of $10, that's beer money man."
Me: "Exactly, so we'll give you $20 each and have money for a beer or two." The stair down continues until the scalper catches a break. A third party hot shot jumps into the ultimate barter showdown.
Hot shot: "I need a pair, best seats in the house, what you got man. (looks at the tickets the scalper just ripped from my paws.) On no we want 100 level I don't want these"

7:03
We're back at One Seymore Knox Plaza and the scalpers are starting to tense up. They are putting nonconsecutive tickets together just trying to do something. "We want a pair, we need a pair" I keep telling these guys as they lower their asking price from $30 a ticket down to $15 as the puck is being dropped.

7:08
The puck is officially dropped and people are still streaming in as commerce is taking place on the streets.

7:09
In one last ditch effort we look for the guy offering $25 each for the pair. Alas we can't find him walk back to the arena realizing this is not our night. There are only single tickets left in what appears the entire known universe going for $15 each.

We make the decision that it is officially not our night and we decide to go to Pearl St. and catch the game.

7:15
As we are walking up Main St. we see a guy two blocks from the arena still trying to peddle some tickets. As it turns out he has a pair! However the asking price was $50 each, 10 minutes into the game. The tickets had a face value of $22, the puck was dropped and god knows what the score is at this point. We walk away as he offers $40 each and we laugh heading up Main.

7:21
As we cross Exchange St. we see some dude in a pick up truck cruising through red lights with his door open at about 15 mph. He yells something incoherent, although I swear I hear the words TICKETS mumbled in his sentence. I walk over and he has two tickets to tonight's game.
"Hey, you lookin for tickets I got a pair here. They were compt'd I'm just tryin to get rid of 'em. (section 302 row 10 seats 9 and 10.) We offer $20 each, and we're back in the game. According to my buddy, and this is not to be repeated although the words may never be verified of being legitimate. As we are handing him the money he allegedly said to him "Yeah, I just wanted to get rid of them I would have been happy just getting $15 each for 'em"

7:22
I decide to ignore this story I am just told as we start briskly jogging towards the Arena.

7:28
We get to our seats in section 302 with 8:00 left in the first period no score.

7:29
We realize there is two bus loads of screaming women and children 80% little girls. They are holding up huge signs obstructing our view.

7:30
I give a huge Lets Go Pannnnnnnnthers! as we take in the atmosphere glad we got in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home