Sunday, January 07, 2007

NFL playoffs +superbowl pick

Already I am hearing the term clutch kick. God damn it if I had a dollar for every time someone in the sports media hyperbole bowl used the word clutch I would not be writing this free column. What constitutes a clutch kick? a 38 yarder when the game is tied on your own field after you just called a time out to calm down as in the Eagles game today? That is clutch these days?

My idea of 'clutch', although I never or rarely ever use the term, must include all or most of:
  • Your team is losing by 1 2 or 3 points
  • There is 5 or less seconds left.
  • The weather conditions are rare and unexpected ie wind snow rain ultra violet radiation
  • It is overtime and you are on the road and the other team just iced you with 2 time outs consequtively although this is illegal.
I hate all the teams left in the playoffs. The Eagles barely beat the freakin Giants. The Seahawks lost to the Cowboys except Romo can't put down a hold because he was too busy groping Underwood during TV timeouts. The Aints are the aints with or without Katrina. The Bears have Rex Grossman as their quarterback. The Colts can't stop the run, can't run, and have Manning as their QB(Although Ty Law is, thankfully for him, out of the playoffs.) The Patriots are the Patriots and I hate them more than any other professional sports team, plus they have holes. The Chargers have Martyball as their coach and a rookie quarterback.

This leaves me to my pick as the 2006(season) Superbowl champions. Yes they have a washed up quarterback that can on rare occasions actually complete passes, but also a coach that has won it, and a team with a similar defense to their first SB win. Then again who isn't expecting Air McNair to come up a yard short once again.

Since I can tell the future, well except for the over/under in the Patriots game ( I had under44), how many catchs Troy Brown was going to have (i had over 3), the number of points in the 2nd half of the cowboys game (I had under 23.5) and the number of points in the Colts game ( I had over 46), I foresee a Baltimore Ravens vs. Philadelphia (I know Lito Shepard has a dislocated elbow.. it hurts it really hurts me to pick them but I have to)Eagles Superbowl.

Black Birds 19 Igles 13 in the bird bowl

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog combines all the worst qualities of a 6th grade writing style and sports talk radio.

And by your 'definition' of a clutch kick, Scott Norwood missing with 8 seconds left on the clock wasn't a 'clutch' miss.

Monday, 08 January, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home